cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Luís Ferreira <zamith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timeout Exception in get_slice
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 10:05:08 GMT
The multi get batches range from 100 to 200.

The tests I'm running need to do get_slices and the multigets on those results. I can't turn
either of them off.

I was only setting 16 threads for reading, but I'll boost it up to 32 and see what happens.

On May 9, 2012, at 11:03 AM, aaron morton wrote:

> How big are the multi get batches ?
>
> How do the wide row get_slice calls behave when the multi gets are not running ?
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 9/05/2012, at 1:47 AM, Luís Ferreira wrote:
>
>> Maybe one of the problems is that I am reading the columns in a row and the rows
themselves in batches, using the count attribute in the SliceRange and by changing the start
column or the corresponding for rows with the KeyRange. According to your blog post, using
start key to read for millions of rows/columns has a lot of latency, but how else can I read
an entire row that does not fit into memory?

>> I'll have to run some tests again and check the tpstats. Still, do you think that
adding more machines to the cluster will help a lot? I say this, because I started with a
3 node cluster and have scaled to a 5 node cluster with little improvement...

>> Thanks anyway.
>>
>> On May 8, 2012, at 9:54 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>>
>>> If I was rebuilding my power after spending the first thousand years of the Third
Age as a shapeless evil I would cast my Eye of Fire in the direction of the filthy little
multi_gets.

>>> A node can fail to respond to a query with rpc_timeout for two reasons: either
the command did not run or the command started but did not complete. The former is much more
likely. If it is happening you will see  large pending counts and dropped messages in nodetool
tpstats, you will also see log entries about dropped messages.

>>> When you send a multi_get each row you request becomes a message in the read
thread pool. If you request 100 rows you will put 100 messages in the pool, which by default
has 32 threads. If some clients are sending large multi get (or batch mutations) you can overload
nodes and starve other clients.

>>> for background, some metrics here for selecting from 10million columns http://thelastpickle.com/2011/07/04/Cassandra-Query-Plans/
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>

>>> -----------------
>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Developer
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

doing it iteratively I keep getting TimeoutExceptions. I've tried to change the number of
columns fetched but it did not work.

heap, but still the all consume all of the memory and get huge IO wait due to the amout of
reads.

get_slice, get and multi_get, but the timeouts only occur in the get_slice.

to keep the rows in memory? Or am I doing anything wrong? Any tips?

>> Cumprimentos,
>> Luís Ferreira

Cumprimentos,
Luís Ferreira