cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Doubts regarding compaction
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 00:50:06 GMT
> Also, I want to make sure, if Major compactions could only be done manually ?
Major compactions are the ones you run using nodetool

> Is the author referring to this time period as no minor compactions being triggered automatically
?

They minor compaction will be triggered less frequently because you will need to run 4 compactions
at the first size tier before one runs at the next. And so on. Up to the point where you need
to get another 3 files roughly the same size as the one you got from the major compaction.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 29/05/2012, at 3:41 AM, Rajat Mathur wrote:

> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/operations/tuning
>
> On this page at last, there's a note about Major Compaction which says,
>
> Also, once you run a major compaction, automatic minor compactions are no longer triggered
frequently...

> Could anybody give an explanation for that, because as far as I think, once a major compaction
takes place, after that let's say there would be no compactions till N(default value 4) SSTables
of same size (size of memtable to be precise) are formed, then automatically minor compactions
would start. Is the author referring to this time period as no minor compactions being triggered
automatically ?