cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Keyspace lost after restart
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 10:43:50 GMT
Was this a schema that was created prior to 1.1 ?

What process are you using to create the schema ?

Can you share the logs from system startup ? Up until it logs "Listening for thrift clients".
(if they are long please link to them)

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer

On 10/05/2012, at 1:04 AM, Conan Cook wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to mention we're running Cassandra 1.1.
> Conan
> On 8 May 2012 17:51, Conan Cook <> wrote:
> Hi Cassandra Folk,
> We've experienced a problem a couple of times where Cassandra nodes lose a keyspace after
a restart.  We've restarted 2 out of 3 nodes, and they have both experienced this problem;
clearly we're doing something wrong, but don't know what.  The data files are all still there,
as before, but the node can't see the keyspace (we only have one).  Tthe nodetool still says
that each one is responsible for 33% of the keys, but the disk usage has dropped to a tiny
amount on the nodes that we've restarted.  I saw this:
> Seems to be exactly our problem, but we have not modified the cassandra.yaml - we have
overwritten it through an automated process, and that happened just before restarting, but
the contents did not change.
> Any ideas as to what might cause this, or how the keyspace can be restored (like I say,
the data is all still in the data directory).
> We're running in AWS.
> Thanks,
> Conan

View raw message