cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: java.net.SocketTimeoutException while Trying to Drop a Collection
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 09:58:03 GMT
There are two times of timeouts. The thrift TimedOutException occurs when the coordinator times
out waiting for the CL level nodes to respond. The error is transmitted back to the client
and raised.

This is a client side socket timeout waiting for the coordinator to respond. See the CassandraHostConfigurator.setCassandraThriftSocketTimeout()
setting.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 31/05/2012, at 11:44 AM, Christof Bornhoevd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using Cassandra 1.0.8 with Hector 1.0-5 on both Windows and Linux. In our development/test
environment we always recreate the schema in Cassandra (first dropping all ColumnFamilies
then recreating them) and then seeding the test data. We simply use cluster.dropColumnFamily(keyspace.getKeyspaceName(),
collectionName); to drop ColumnFamilies. The client is using ThriftFramedTransport (configurator.setUseThriftFramedTransport(true);).

> Every so often we run into the following exception (with different ColumnFamilies):
>
> Caused by: me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HectorTransportException: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException:
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.translate(ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.java:33)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster$7.execute(AbstractCluster.java:279)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster$7.execute(AbstractCluster.java:266)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.Operation.executeAndSetResult(Operation.java:103)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.connection.HConnectionManager.operateWithFailover(HConnectionManager.java:258)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster.dropColumnFamily(AbstractCluster.java:283)
> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster.dropColumnFamily(AbstractCluster.java:261)
> at com.supervillains.plouton.cassandradatastore.CassandraDataStore.deleteCollection(CassandraDataStore.java:195)
> ... 57 more
>
> Is this problem related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3551 (which
should have been fixed with Cassandra 1.0.6) or could there be anything we do wrong here?