cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: what about an "hybrid" partitioner for CF with composite row key ?
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 18:47:51 GMT
> * with the RP: for one ui action, many nodes may be requested, but it's simpler to balance
the cluster
Many nodes good. You will have increased availability if the data is more widely distributed.

> one sweeter(?) partitioner would be a partitioner that would distribute a row according
only to the first part of its key (= according to "folder id" only).
It would still be unbalanced.

> Is it doable to implement such a partitioner ?

Sort of, but it's not a good idea.

The token created by the partitioner is just some bytes, so technically they can be anything.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 25/05/2012, at 1:47 AM, DE VITO Dominique wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have defined a CF with a composite row key that sounds like (folder id, doc id).
>
> For our app, one very common pattern is accessing, through one ui action, some bunch
of data with the following row keys: (id, id_1), (id, id_2), (id, id_3)...
> So, multiple rows are accessed, but all row keys have the same 1st part "folder id".
>
> * with the BOP: for one ui action, one simple node is requested (in average), but it's
much harder to balances the cluster nodes