cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Is nodetool upgradesstables a necessary step for upgrading from 0.8 to 1.0.
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 09:57:30 GMT
> if I do not upgrade the sstables what is going to happen?
Things will break.
Things you would normally like to work like repair.

The new version nodes can read old data. But when they stream old data files between themselves
(during repair) they have to be able to write the bloom filter, index etc in the old data
file format. Which they cannot do.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 16/05/2012, at 2:09 PM, Boris Yen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our cluster is currently running on 0.8.10, we plan on upgrading it to 1.0.x. We read
the document from the datastax website, the final step is to use nodetool upgradesstables.
Since this command might take time to finish, I wonder if this step could be skip? if I do