cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Ordering counters in Cassandra
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 10:58:50 GMT
> What's the best approach to perform this task?
get the columns in slices of a 100 or so and order on the client. Then write a new row that
is a pivot so the column name is the aggregate count and the column value is the old column
name.

To slice the row, make the first call with no start_col, then use the last col read as the
next start col.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/05/2012, at 2:59 AM, Filippo Diotalevi wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to understand what's the best design for a simple "ranking" use cases.
> I have, in a row, a good number (10k - a few 100K) of counters; each one is counting
the occurrence of an event. At the end of day, I want to create a ranking of the most occurred
event.

> What's the best approach to perform this task?
> The brute force approach of retrieving the row and ordering it doesn't work well (the
call usually goes timeout, especially is Cassandra is also under load); I also don't know
in advance the full set of event names (column names), so it's difficult to slice the get
call.