0 is a perfectly valid id.

node - 1 is modulo the maximum token value. that token range is 0  -  2**127

so node - 1 in this case is 2**127

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deno Vichas" <deno@syncopated.net>
Sent: Wed, April 25, 2012 18:11
Subject: Re: EC2 Best Practices

has anybody written up anything related to recovery for fails in EC2?

this morning i woke up to find 1 (of 4) nodes marked as unreachable.  i used the datastax (1.0.7) ami to set up my clu ster and the node that fail had the token id of 0 (this is the seed node - right?).  the docs says to replace a failed node to set the token to failed node - 1, which i don't think would work.  luckily rebooting the machine

but i'm left with the question of what should i do if node with the token ID of 0 fails and should i even have a node with that ID.

thanks,
deno