cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Long Startup Times
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:24:58 GMT
If you start with DEBUG logging (or just enable logging for SSTableReader) you will get some
more information on what's taking time at startup.

If you want to dig a little further take a look at the iostat and cpu load. During startup
a thread is created for each core on the machine and used to open a file. I've wondered if
this could overload the IO on machines that report 16 cores.

You'll see messages like this INFO [SSTableBatchOpen:1] where the number is the thread number.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 16/04/2012, at 5:13 AM, Derek Barnes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 column families with approx 50 GB of compressed data (~150GB uncompressed).
 The data resides in a keyspace replicated 2-way, hosted by a 2-node Cassandra cluster (v1.0.8),
both with 74GB RAM and 16 cores.    Key caches are set to 1.0.

> I'm noticing that it can take upwards of 15+ minutes for the node to start up (i.e. before
it becomes responsive to thrift clients).  During this time, the logs suggest the system is
blocked opening the data files.