cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Data Craftsman <database.crafts...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Server Side Logic/Script - Triggers / StoreProc
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 22:49:23 GMT
Howdy,

Some Polyglot Persistence(NoSQL) products started support server side
scripting, similar to RDBMS store procedure.
E.g. Redis Lua scripting.

I wish it is Python when Cassandra has the server side scripting feature.

FYI,

http://antirez.com/post/250

http://nosql.mypopescu.com/post/19949274021/alchemydb-an-integrated-graphdb-rdbms-kv-store

"server side scripting support is an extremely powerful tool. Having
processing close to data (i.e. data locality) is a well known
advantage, ..., it can open the doors to completely new features."

Thanks,

Charlie (@mujiang) 一个 木匠
=======
Data Architect Developer
http://mujiang.blogspot.com

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Brian O'Neill <boneill42@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praveen,
>
> We are certainly interested. To get things moving we implemented an add-on
> for Cassandra to demonstrate the viability (using AOP):
> https://github.com/hmsonline/cassandra-triggers
>
> Right now the implementation executes triggers asynchronously, allowing you
> to implement a java interface and plugin your own java class that will get
> called for every insert.
>
> Per the discussion on 1311, we intend to extend our proof of concept to be
> able to invoke scripts as well.  (minimally we'll enable javascript, but
> we'll probably allow for ruby and groovy as well)
>
> -brian
>
> On Apr 22, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Praveen Baratam wrote:
>
> I found that Triggers are coming in Cassandra 1.2
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1311) but no mention of any
> StoreProc like pattern.
>
> I know this has been discussed so many times but never met with
> any initiative. Even Groovy was staged out of the trunk.
>
> Cassandra is great for logging and as such will be infinitely more useful if
> some logic can be pushed into the Cassandra cluster nearer to the location
> of Data to generate a materialized view useful for applications.
>
> Server Side Scripts/Routines in Distributed Databases could soon prove to be
> the differentiating factor.
>
> Let me reiterate things with a use case.
>
> In our application we store time series data in wide rows with TTL set on
> each point to prevent data from growing beyond acceptable limits. Still the
> data size can be a limiting factor to move all of it from the cluster node
> to the querying node and then to the application via thrift for processing
> and presentation.
>
> Ideally we should process the data on the residing node and pass only the
> materialized view of the data upstream. This should be trivial if Cassandra
> implements some sort of server side scripting and CQL semantics to call it.
>
> Is anybody else interested in a similar feature? Is it being worked on? Are
> there any alternative strategies to this problem?
>
> Praveen
>

> --
> Brian ONeill
> Lead Architect, Health Market Science (http://healthmarketscience.com)