cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Help with Wide Rows with CounterColumns
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:09:27 GMT
No.

CounterColumnType only works with column values, which are not sorted. Sorting counters while
they are being updated is potentially very expensive.

You have a few options:

1) If the list of counters is short (say < 100 columns) get all the columns and sort client
side.
2) Run a periodic task that gets all the columns, sorts client side, pivots so column name
and values are swapped, and writes them back to another row. You can now get the top X columns.

3) Depending on your requirements, consider a different server such as Redis.

Hope that helps.
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/04/2012, at 7:40 AM, Praveen Baratam wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a particular requirement where I need to update CounterColumns in a Row by a specific
UID which is the key for the CounterColumn in that row and then query for those columns in
that Row such that we get the top 5 UIDs with highest Counter Values.