cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Williams <je...@wherethebitsroam.com>
Subject Re: Write performance compared to Postgresql
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:11:26 GMT
On three machines on the same subnet as the two cassandra nodes.

On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Collard, David L (Dave) wrote:

> Where is your client running?

performing my 2 node cassandra cluster, although the gap is narrowing.

> Jeff
>
> On Apr 3, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Vitalii Tymchyshyn wrote:
>
>> Note that having tons of TCP connections is not good. We are using async client to
issue multiple calls over single connection at same time. You can do the same.

>> Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.
>>
>> 03.04.12 16:18, Jeff Williams написав(ла):
>>> Ok, so you think the write speed is limited by the client and protocol, rather
than the cassandra backend? This sounds reasonable, and fits with our use case, as we will
have several servers writing. However, a bit harder to test!

>>> Jeff

hitting the server at once you will see throughput improve.

100 hashes representing logs entries, read from a json file. I then looped over these to do
10,000 log inserts. I repeated the same writing to a postgresql instance on one of the cassandra
servers. The script is attached. The cassandra writes appear to perform a lot worse. Is this
expected?