cassandra-user mailing list archives

From William Wichgers <wwichg...@gist.com>
Subject Re: upgrade from cassandra 0.8 to 1.0
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 23:06:44 GMT
On 04/05/2012 03:19 PM, ruslan usifov wrote:
> Hello
>
> It's looks that cassandra 1.0.x is stable, and have interesting things
> like offheap memtables and row cashes, so we want to upgrade to 1.0
> version from 0.8. Is it possible to do without cluster downtime (while
> we upgrade all nodes)? I mean follow: when we begin upgrade at some
> point in working cluster will be mix of 0.8 (nodes that are not
> upgraded yet) and 1.0(nodes that already upgraded) so i am concerned
> about this situation, i.e. communications between nodes can be broken
> because  version communication protocol incompatibilies

This is from the NEWs file in the 1.0 upgrade:

1.0
===

Upgrading
---------
     - Upgrading from version 0.7.1+ or 0.8.2+ can be done with a rolling
       restart, one node at a time.  (0.8.0 or 0.8.1 are NOT
network-compatible
       with 1.0: upgrade to the most recent 0.8 release first.)
       You do not need to bring down the whole cluster at once.
     - After upgrading, run nodetool scrub against each node before running
       repair, moving nodes, or adding new ones.