cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Vitalii Tymchyshyn <tiv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write performance compared to Postgresql
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:08:54 GMT
Note that having tons of TCP connections is not good. We are using async
client to issue multiple calls over single connection at same time. You
can do the same.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.

03.04.12 16:18, Jeff Williams написав(ла):
> Ok, so you think the write speed is limited by the client and protocol, rather than the
cassandra backend? This sounds reasonable, and fits with our use case, as we will have several
servers writing. However, a bit harder to test!

> Jeff
>
> On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:27 PM, Jake Luciani wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Writing serially over one connection will be slower. If you run many threads hitting
the server at once you will see throughput improve.

>> Jake
>>

>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:08 AM, Jeff Williams<jeffw@wherethebitsroam.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am looking at cassandra for a logging application. We currently log to a Postgresql
database.

>>> I set up 2 cassandra servers for testing. I did a benchmark where I had 100 hashes
representing logs entries, read from a json file. I then looped over these to do 10,000 log
inserts. I repeated the same writing to a postgresql instance on one of the cassandra servers.
The script is attached. The cassandra writes appear to perform a lot worse. Is this expected?