cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Williams <je...@wherethebitsroam.com>
Subject Re: Write performance compared to Postgresql
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:18:20 GMT
Ok, so you think the write speed is limited by the client and protocol, rather than the cassandra
backend? This sounds reasonable, and fits with our use case, as we will have several servers
writing. However, a bit harder to test!

Jeff

On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:27 PM, Jake Luciani wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Writing serially over one connection will be slower. If you run many threads hitting
the server at once you will see throughput improve.

> Jake
>

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:08 AM, Jeff Williams <jeffw@wherethebitsroam.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking at cassandra for a logging application. We currently log to a Postgresql
database.

>> I set up 2 cassandra servers for testing. I did a benchmark where I had 100 hashes
representing logs entries, read from a json file. I then looped over these to do 10,000 log
inserts. I repeated the same writing to a postgresql instance on one of the cassandra servers.
The script is attached. The cassandra writes appear to perform a lot worse. Is this expected?