cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Single Node Cassandra Installation
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:04:20 GMT
Thanks for the comments, I guess I will end up doing a 2 node cluster with replica count 2
and read consistency 1.

-- Drew

On Mar 15, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Thomas van Neerijnen wrote:

> So long as data loss and downtime are acceptable risks a one node cluster is fine.
> Personally this is usually only acceptable on my workstation, even my dev environment
is redundant, because servers fail, usually when you least want them to, like for example
when you've decided to save costs by waiting before implementing redundancy. Could a failure
end up costing you more than you've saved? I'd rather get cheaper servers (maybe even used
off ebay??) so I could have at least two of them.

> If you do go with a one node solution, altho I haven't tried it myself Priam looks like
a good place to start for backups, otherwise roll your own with incremental snapshotting turned
on and a watch on the snapshot directory. Storage on something like S3 or Cloud Files is very
cheap so there's no good excuse for no backups.

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, R. Verlangen <robin@us2.nl> wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> One other disadvantage is the lack of "consistency level" and "replication". Both ware
part of the high availability / redundancy. So you would really need to backup your single-node-"cluster"
to some other external location.

> Good luck!
>

> 2012/3/15 Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com>
> Hi,
>
> We are working on a project that initially is going to have very little data, but we
would like to use Cassandra to ease the future scalability. Due to budget constraints, we
were thinking to run a single node Cassandra for now and then add more nodes as required.

> I was wondering if it is recommended to run a single node cassandra in production? Are
there any other issues besides lack of high availability?