cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Rishabh Agrawal <rishabh.agra...@impetus.co.in>
Subject Adding nodes to cluster (Cassandra 1.0.8)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:39:35 GMT
I was able to successfully join a node to already existing one-node cluster (without giving
any intital_token), but when I add another machine with identical settings (with changes in
listen broadcast and rpc address). I am unable to join it to the cluster and it gives me following
error:

INFO 17:50:35,555 JOINING: schema complete, ready to bootstrap
INFO 17:50:35,556 JOINING: getting bootstrap token
ERROR 17:50:35,557 Exception encountered during startup
java.lang.RuntimeException: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap.If you intended to start
a single-node cluster, you should make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address) is
listed as a seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has no knowledge
of the rest of the cluster.  Usually, this can be solved by giving all nodes the same seed
list.
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapSource(BootStrapper.java:168)
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBalancedToken(BootStrapper.java:150)
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapToken(BootStrapper.java:145)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(StorageService.java:565)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:484)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(StorageService.java:395)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:234)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(AbstractCassandraDaemon.java:356)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:107)
[...]
Exception encountered during startup: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap.If you intended
to start a single-node cluster, you should make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address)
is listed as a seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has no
knowledge of the rest of the cluster.  Usually, this can be solved by giving all nodes the
same seed list.
INFO 17:50:35,571 Waiting for messaging service to quiesce
INFO 17:50:35,571 MessagingService shutting down server thread.

Now when I put some interger value to intial_token  the Cassandra starts working but is not
able to connect to the main cluster which became evident from the command Nodetool -h <ip
of this node> ring. It displayed itself with 100% ownership.

Kindly help me with it asap.

Regards
Rishabh

Impetus to sponsor and exhibit at Structure Data 2012, NY; Mar 21-22. Know more about our
Big Data quick-start program at the event.

New Impetus webcast 'Cloud-enabled Performance Testing vis-?-vis On-premise' available at
http://bit.ly/z6zT4L.

or interference.