cassandra-user mailing list archives

From samal <>
Subject Re: How to store a list of values?
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:43:13 GMT
I would take simple approach. create one other CF "UserSkill"  with row key
same as profile_cf key,
In user_skill cf will add skill as column name and value null. Columns can
be added or removed.

   blah :blah
   blah :blah
   blah :blah

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Ben McCann <> wrote:

> I have a profile column family and want to store a list of skills in each
> profile.  In BigTable I could store a Protocol Buffer<>with
a repeated field, but I'm not sure how this is typically accomplished
> in Cassandra.  One option would be to store a serialized Thrift<>or
protobuf, but I'd prefer not to do this as I believe Cassandra doesn't
> have knowledge of these formats, and so the data in the datastore would not
> not human readable in CQL queries from the command line.  The other
> solution I thought of would be to use a super column and put a random UUID
> as the key for each skill:
> skills: {
>   '4b27c2b3ac48e8df': 'java',
>   '84bf94ea7bc92018': 'c++',
>   '9103b9a93ce9d18': 'cobol'
> }
> Is this a good way of handling lists in Cassandra?  I imagine there's some
> idiom I'm not aware of.  I'm using the Astyanax<>client
library, which only supports composite columns instead of super
> columns, and so the solution I proposed above would seem quite awkward in
> that case.  Though I'm still having some trouble understanding composite
> columns as they seem not to be completely documented yet.  Would this
> solution work with composite columns?
> Thanks,
> Ben

View raw message