cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Maciej Miklas <mac.mik...@googlemail.com>
Subject Cassandra cache patterns with thiny and wide rows
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 06:49:45 GMT
I've asked this question already on stackoverflow but without answer - I
wll try again:

My use case expects heavy read load - there are two possible model design
strategies:

   1.

   Tiny rows with row cache: In this case row is small enough to fit into
   RAM and all columns are being cached. Read access should be fast.
   2.

   Wide rows with key cache. Wide rows with large columns amount are to big
   for row cache. Access to column subset requires HDD seek.

As I understand using wide rows is a good design pattern. But we would need
to disable row cache - so .... what is the benefit of such wide row (at
least for read access)?

Which approach is better 1 or 2?