cassandra-user mailing list archives

From David Schairer <dschai...@humbaba.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra multi DC
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:40:55 GMT
We built multi-DC right from the start -- two equal locations about 1000 miles apart but on
the same provider backbone so there was reasonably robust and consistent connectivity between
them.  We did this using software ipsec to set up tunnels between the private networks in
each location, but we did this a year ago when SSL on cassandra connections wasn't viable
yet.  Today I would drop the private networks and use SSL and certificate validation between
nodes, as it'll be more reliable and reduce a layer of complexity.

As for multi-DC, we've seen _very_ little trouble and it's been a life saver on several locations
when we or our provider needs to do major local maintenance or is suffering a DoS attack on
the facility.  It lets you do several cheap DCs rather than one very expensive one.

--DRS

On Mar 29, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Alexandru Sicoe wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>  How are people running multi DC Cassandra across remote locations? Are VPNs used? Or
some dedicated application proxis? What is the norm here?