cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Igor <i...@4friends.od.ua>
Subject Re: Advice on architecture
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:15:07 GMT
On 03/28/2012 02:04 PM, Radim Kolar wrote:

>> RAID0 would help me use more efficiently the total disk space
>> available at each node, but tests have shown that under write load it
>> behaves much worse than using separate data dirs, one per disk.
> there are different strategies how RAID0 splits reads, also changing
> io scheduler and filesystem helps. I found that ZFS/ZRAID is best,
> especially backups are very good. If you dont plan to do backups ext4
> is not bad either, but compactions are rather slow on it.

I'm also trying to evaluate different strategies for RAID0 as drive for
cassandra data storage. If I need 2T space to keep node tables, which
drive configuration is better: 1T x 2drives or 500G x 4drives? Which
stripe size is optimal? Should I use hardware raid or linux raid is ok?
I mostly concerned with read performance.