cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Deno Vichas <d...@syncopated.net>
Subject multi region EC2
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:12:52 GMT
all,

we just about ready to push our app live and just have some cassandra
tuning left.  i've been currently running a 4 node (rep factor 3,
simple) in EC2 using the datastax AMIs (thanks datastax).  so after
reading through a bunch of docs i have a few questions.

  - what is the min and recommended number of nodes to use in multiple
region cluster.  we only have a single app server right now.
- can i migrate the replication strategy one node at a time or do i need
to shut to the whole cluster to do this?
- what type of performance hit am i going to take having my app server
cross regions to get to a node.  coming from the SQL world, this is
usually not a good thing.

if i was to stick in a single region is the any best practices for
backing up a whole cluster?  from the docs it looks like i need to
snapshot each node one by one and then copy off the snapshot to
somewhere offsite.

thanks,
deno