cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: multi region EC2
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:15:42 GMT
> (rep factor 3, simple)
if this means you are using the SimpleStrategy I would recommend using the NetworkTopologyStrategy.

>  - what is the min and recommended number of nodes to use in multiple region cluster.
 we only have a single app server right now.
It depends on how exciting you want your life to be.
You probably want at least 3 nodes in each cassandra DC / EC2 region. These could be spread
across 3 AZ's in an EC2 region.

Some background on availability http://thelastpickle.com/2011/06/13/Down-For-Me/

> - can i migrate the replication strategy one node at a time or do i need to shut to the
whole cluster to do this?
Just use the NTS from the start.

> - what type of performance hit am i going to take having my app server cross regions
to get to a node.  coming from the SQL world, this is usually not a good thing.
You will need to do some tests. Using LOCAL_QUORUM requests will only block on nodes in the
local DC.

> if i was to stick in a single region is the any best practices for backing up a whole
cluster?  from the docs it looks like i need to snapshot each node one by one and then copy
off the snapshot to somewhere offsite.
yes.

Good luck.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 27/03/2012, at 8:12 AM, Deno Vichas wrote:

> all,
>
> we just about ready to push our app live and just have some cassandra tuning left.  i've
been currently running a 4 node (rep factor 3, simple) in EC2 using the datastax AMIs (thanks
datastax).  so after reading through a bunch of docs i have a few questions.