cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Hontvári József Levente <hontv...@flyordie.com>
Subject Rationale behind incrementing all tokens by one in a different datacenter (was: running two rings on the same subnet)
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:13:07 GMT
I am thinking about the frequent example:

dc1 - node1: 0
dc1 - node2: large...number

dc2 - node1: 1
dc2 - node2: large...number + 1

In theory using the same tokens in dc2 as in dc1 does not significantly
affect key distribution, specifically the two keys on the border will
move to the next one, but that is not much. However it seems that there
is an unexplained requirement (at least I could not find an
explanation), that all nodes must have a unique token, even if they are
put into a different circle by NetworkTopologyStrategy.

On 2012.03.05. 11:48, aaron morton wrote:
> Moreover all tokens must be unique (even across datacenters), although
> - from pure curiosity - I wonder what is the rationale behind this.
Otherwise data is not evenly distributed.