cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Watanabe Maki <watanabe.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: snapshot files locked
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:06:49 GMT
Typo

> 2. MKLINK /D LINK.TXT ORIG.TXT

MKLINK /H

On 2012/03/15, at 9:04, Watanabe Maki <watanabe.maki@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's true on unix, but you can't delete hard links of opened files on windows.
> Try following:
> 1  Create a text file ORIG.TXT
> 2. MKLINK /D LINK.TXT ORIG.TXT
>  Now you have hard link LINK.TXT .
> 3  Open ORIG.TXT with MS Word.
> 4. DEL LINK.TXT
>    It returns error.
>
> Interesting thing is that you can delete link.txt if you open orig.txt with notepad.

> Notepad may close file after load, or it may be using different API.
>
> On 2012/03/15, at 5:04, Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Maki,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I understand that snapshots are hard links.  However,
my understanding is that removing any hard-linked files just removes the link (decrementing
the link counter of the file on disk) -- it does not delete the file itself nor remove any
other links which may be pointing at the file.  To confirm my understanding, I tested this
in Windows by terminating Cassandra and then deleting all files in the snapshot dir.  None
of the corresponding files in the parent keyspace directory were removed.