cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Proudnikov <>
Subject Pushing through major compaction
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:57:09 GMT

Could you please share you experience on pushing through a major compaction on a CF with a
large number of sstables? I get an OOM even after dropping CFs that I can drop and increasing
JVM heap to the limit. My caches are minimal and memtables are empty. This only happens on
a single node.

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionIterator.getCollatingIterator(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionIterator.<init>(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager.doCompactionWithoutSizeEstimation(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager.doCompaction(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager$
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
        at Source

What other options do I have, e.g. reloading this CF or just the segment from this node? Ideally
I would like to avoid custom export/import scripting.

Thank you very much,

View raw message