cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommended configuration for good streaming performance?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:36:08 GMT
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Erik Forsberg <forsberg@opera.com> wrote:
> Our Cassandra hardware are 16 core (including HT cores) with 24GiB of RAM.
> They have two disks each. So far we've configured them with commitlog on one
> disk and sstables on the other, but with streaming not using commitlog
> (correct?)

Yes.

> maybe it makes sense to have sstables on both disks, doubling
> available I/O?

That would make sense (raid0) if streaming performance is your main
priority.  But if you have a more "balanced" workload involving lots
of reads and [non-bulk] updates, then the commitlog on a separate
spindle is going to make a big difference there.

> Thoughts on number of parallel streaming clients?

Good question.  I don't know that I have any useful intuition here,
other than "more than 1." :)  Let us know if you do some
experimenting!

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra