cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkesle...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Combining Cassandra with some SQL language
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:09:38 GMT
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM, R. Verlangen <robin@us2.nl> wrote:
> I'm currently busy with the technical design of a new project. Of course it
> will depend on your needs, but is it weird to combine Cassandra with a SQL
> language like MySQL?
>
> In my usecase it would be nice because we have some tables/CF's with lots
> and lots of data that does not really have to be consistent 100%, but also
> have some data that should be always consistent.
>
> What do you think of this?

It seems entirely reasonable to hybridise your stack to take advantage
of the qualities of different data stores. The tradeoff is your system
will have more moving parts, increasing its learning curve,
complicating provisioning, etc.

Where I work, we moved a lot of our domain out of MySQL into
Cassandra, and are now porting select parts of the domain that change
infrequently but require greater consistency back into MySQL. We are
also using other forms of storage (Redis and S3).

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis