cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Patrik Modesto <>
Subject newer Cassandra + Hadoop = TimedOutException()
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:20:35 GMT

I can see some strange behaviour on my test cluster and in production.
Both running cassandra 0.8.10. Strange is that when I compile my
mapreduce job against cassandra-all 0.8.7 everything is ok, but if I
use higher version I get quite a lots of TimedOutException.

java.lang.RuntimeException: TimedOutException()
        at org.apache.cassandra.hadoop.ColumnFamilyRecordReader$RowIterator.maybeInit(
        at org.apache.cassandra.hadoop.ColumnFamilyRecordReader$RowIterator.computeNext(
        at org.apache.cassandra.hadoop.ColumnFamilyRecordReader$RowIterator.computeNext(
        at org.apache.cassandra.hadoop.ColumnFamilyRecordReader.nextKeyValue(
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$NewTrackingRecordReader.nextKeyValue(
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.MapContext.nextKeyValue(
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(

There is nothing in the cassandra log, the cluster is idle, no one
else is accessing the cluster.

There are just few rows, nothing big:

INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input groups=14
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Combine output records=0
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Map input records=544009
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Reduce shuffle bytes=33876
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Reduce output records=0
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Spilled Records=38
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Map output bytes=33656
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Combine input records=0
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Map output records=19
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     SPLIT_RAW_BYTES=3937
INFO  mapred.JobClient:     Reduce input records=19

What could be the problem?

View raw message