cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Encrypting traffic between Hector client and Cassandra server
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 00:37:44 GMT
There was a recent post about performance that also talked about using Open VPN to encrypt
traffic from clients to server

http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg20058.html

I've not looked at thrift encryption.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1/02/2012, at 12:33 PM, Maxim Potekhin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> do you see any value in having a web service over cassandra, with actual client-clients
talking to it via https/ssl?
> This way the cluster can be firewalled and therefore protected, plus you get decent auth/auth
right there.

> Maxim
>

> On 1/31/2012 5:21 PM, Xaero S wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to figure out how to secure/encrypt the traffic between the client
(Hector) and the Cassandra Server. I looked at this link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-106
But since thrift sits on a layer after Hector, i am wondering how i can get Hector to use
the right Thrift calls to have the encryption happen? Also where can i get the instructions
for the any required setup for encrypting the traffic between the Hector client and the Cassandra
Server?

>> Would appreciate any help in this regard. Below are the setup versions
>>
>> Cassandra Version - 0.8.7
>> Hector - 0.8.0-2
>> libthrift jar - 0.6.1
>>

>> On a side note, we have setup internode encryption on the Cassandra server side and
found the documentation for that easily.