cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Compaction is Killing
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:27:43 GMT
> Is Cassandra logging messages about the the heap been full, what are they saying ?
They are saying http://khaaan.com/

You do not have enough memory allocated to the JVM to work efficiently, that needs to be fixed.

First step, disable all row and key caches until you get stable.

> The size of memory is there a way to calculate the max required or I have to hit and
try.

The best approach is to let Cassandra take care of it. See the conf/cassandra-env.sh . The
maximum useful heap size is 8GB.

That is a safety valve, the fact that is it trigger is a symptom of memory issues. see http://thelastpickle.com/2011/05/04/How-are-Memtables-measured/

>   Are you talking of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb which is by default 1/3 of heap
size.
in_memory_compaction_limit defaults to 64MB and influences how much memory compaction will
use
see https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/conf/cassandra.yaml#L334

> Is RF:7 increasing the pressure as well. But if I reduce it to say 4 I am effectively
putting the load to only 4 servers as Solandra writes all the docs driven by a max_docs_per_shard_size
(which is 1Million) to a single shard (single physical node:-> it uses it own partitioner)
and I have total docs as 300K.

I do not know that much about solandra.

I would do this:
* disable all the caches
* allocate more memory / let cassandra take care of it (you have a high setting for the young
gen).
* consider reducing the in_memory_compaction_limit

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 7/02/2012, at 2:46 PM, shubham srivastava wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Is Cassandra logging messages about the the heap been full, what are they saying ?
>
> Most of the times but not always below logs are published by cassandra:
>
>  WARN [ScheduledTasks:1] 2012-02-06 22:17:50,375 GCInspector.java (line 143) Heap is
0.784281626909687 full.  You may need to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes.  Cassandra will
now flush up to the two largest memtables to free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at
threshold in cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do this automatically
>  WARN [ScheduledTasks:1] 2012-02-06 22:17:50,376 StorageService.java (line 2418) Flushing
ColumnFamilyStore(table='LH', columnFamily='SavedSearchRequest') to relieve memory pressure
>  INFO [ScheduledTasks:1] 2012-02-06 22:17:50,629 ColumnFamilyStore.java (line 1128) Enqueuing
flush of Memtable-SavedSearchRequest@568443115(6964940/13461931 serialized/live bytes, 5794
ops)
>  WARN [ScheduledTasks:1] 2012-02-06 22:17:51,242 StorageService.java (line 2422) Flushing
ColumnFamilyStore(table='LH', columnFamily='BookedHotels') to relieve memory pressure
flush of Memtable-BookedHotels@2031509445(1575/1968 serialized/live bytes, 35 ops)
>  INFO [FlushWriter:5] 2012-02-06 22:17:51,244 Memtable.java (line 237) Writing Memtable-SavedSearchRequest@568443115(6964940/13461931
serialized/live bytes, 5794 ops)
>  INFO [ScheduledTasks:1] 2012-02-06 22:18:03,144 GCInspector.java (line 122) GC for ConcurrentMarkSweep:
3783 ms for 2 collections, 2785603776 used; max is 6120341504

> When you say memtable threshold is 0.75 do you mean the memtable_total_space_in_mb setting
in yaml ?
> I am talking of : flush_largest_memtables_at: 0.75
>
> Wide rows, such as the TL column family in the L keyspace can increase the about of GC
work that goes on. This can be somewhat alleviated by reducing the in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb
, this will increase the amount of IO that is needed.

>   Are you talking of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb which is by default 1/3 of heap
size.

> Heavy write traffic can also increase GC activity. Watch the tp stats during the load
process, are you overloading the cluster ? Do you see pending tasks backing up ?

the same as this but you get the idea http://blogs.oracle.com/poonam/entry/understanding_cms_gc_logs

> The next thing I normally do is revert all changes to the default memory and GC settings.

> When you say memtable threshold is 0.75 do you mean the memtable_total_space_in_mb setting
in yaml ?
> Is Cassandra logging messages about the the heap been full, what are they saying ?
>
> Wide rows, such as the TL column family in the L keyspace can increase the about of GC
work that goes on. This can be somewhat alleviated by reducing the in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb
, this will increase the amount of IO that is needed.

>   Are you talking of in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb which is by default 1/3 of heap
size.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 4/02/2012, at 5:58 PM, Shubham Srivastava wrote:
>
>> I have a cassandra setup with 7 Node Ring single DC with RF:7 and Read:CL:1.There
is live traffic on these nodes except one -> the traffic is 90% read. There are also writes
happening to all these nodes which typically are user specific data etc.These nodes aNow at
times what is happening is there are 2-3 say nodes getting in a hanged state and eventually
the whole ring behaves so. There state in terms of CPU Usage is very High 17Loads ,network
incoming and outgoing requests packet were very high and there is continuous GC(Major and
Minor) pauses happening and Read Messages dropped  simultaneously.Also the SSTables couunt
have increased and decreased for some families during this time. So majorly its the GC and
SStable compaction and Memtable flush happening. We are running cassandra behind solr using
Solandra.The max docs that we have are around 0.5Million.

>> We keep one node as the main write node where we run sheduled job thats pools data
into the cluster from MySql db.These jobs are run hourly.Recently we have increased the data
to somewhere to the size of 30X . Before the same setup was stable and these jobs used to
run in every 5 minutes apart from the similar problem 2-3 times.