cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Tiwari, Dushyant" <Dushyant.Tiw...@morganstanley.com>
Subject Secondary indexes and cardinality
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:11:02 GMT
Hi Cassandra Users,

Heard that indexing a field with high cardinality is not good. If we create a CF to store
the index information like indexed field as key and the keys of original CF as cols in the
row. Will there be any performance improvement? Is this the way secondary indexes are maintained?

Also this makes me think - Will there be any lose if we have many rows in a CF say 10 million?

Thanks,
Dushyant

NOTICE: Morgan Stanley is not acting as a municipal advisor and the opinions or views contained
herein are not intended to be, and do not constitute, advice within the meaning of Section
975 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. If you have received
this communication in error, please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the
sender immediately. Mistransmission is not intended to waive confidentiality or privilege.
Morgan Stanley reserves the right, to the extent permitted under applicable law, to monitor
electronic communications. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.morganstanley.com/disclaimers. If you cannot access these links, please notify
us by reply message and we will send the contents to you. By messaging with Morgan Stanley
you consent to the foregoing.