cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Using cassandra at minimal expenditures
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:04:34 GMT
> 1. I am wandering what is the minimum recommended cluster size to start with?

IMHO 3
http://thelastpickle.com/2011/06/13/Down-For-Me/

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 28/02/2012, at 8:17 AM, Ertio Lew wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm creating an networking site using cassandra. I am wanting to host this application
but initially with the lowest possible resources & then slowly increasing the resources
as per the service's demand & need.

> 1. I am wandering what is the minimum recommended cluster size to start with?
> Are there any issues if I start with as little as 2 nodes in the cluster? In that case
I guess would have replication factor of 2.
> (this way I would require at min. 3 vps, 1 as web server & the 2 for cassandra cluster,
right?)

> 2. Anyone using cassandra with such minimal resources in production environments ? Any
experiences or difficulties encountered ?

> 3. In case, you would like to recommend some hosting service suitable for me ? or if
you would like to suggest some other ways to minimize the resources (actually the hosting
expenses).