cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: How to reduce the memory consumed by cassandra (so as to prevent crashes & OOMs) ?
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:01:41 GMT
MAX_HEAP_SIZE="500M"
HEAP_NEWSIZE="100M"

That is a very small amount of memory for java, you are probably going to have problems. Take
a look at reducing these settings in cassandra.yaml to reduce the amount of memory used.

memtable_total_space_in_mb
memtable_flush_queue_size
in_memory_compaction_limit_in_mb
concurrent_compactors

You may also find this useful https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 28/02/2012, at 6:50 AM, Aditya Gupta wrote:

> I'm running a 4 nodes cassandra cluster of VMware ubuntu instances each 768MB memory
(on a single machine for development purposes). I need to reduce heap size appropriately as
 my nodes have been crashing at times with OOMs. How do I configure for this ? I think I would
need to make some tweaks with MAX_HEAP_SIZE & HEAP_NEWSIZE in cassandra-env.sh !? but
I not sure what should be the correct values I should put here for my case.

> What would have been the values for these parameters in case I had just 512mb for each
node?