cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hart <ch...@remilon.com>
Subject Re: internode communication using multiple network interfaces
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:07:49 GMT
Thanks.  Setting the broadcast address to the external IP address and setting the listen_address
to 0.0.0.0 seems to have fixed it.  Does that mean that all other nodes, even those on the
same local network, will communicate with that node using it's external IP address?  It would
be much better if nodes on the local network could use the internal IP address and only nodes
not on the same network would use the external one.

----- Original Message -----
From: "aaron morton" <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:42:54 AM
Subject: Re: internode communication using multiple network interfaces

I have 3 Cassandra nodes in one data center all on the same local network, which needs to
replicate from an off site data center. Only 1 of the 3 nodes, called dw01, is externally
accessible.

If you want to run a multi data centre cluster, all the nodes in both data centers need to
be able to connect to each other.

When it comes to exposing nodes behind a fire wall broadcast_address can help, see the help
in cassandra.yam and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2491

Hope that helps.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer