cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Syncing across environments
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:37:51 GMT
Nothing Cassandra specific that I am aware of. Do you have any ops automation such as chef
or puppet ?

Data Stax make their chef cook books available here https://github.com/riptano/chef

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/01/2012, at 9:53 AM, David McNelis wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with any tools that are already available to allow for configurable
synchronization of different clusters?

> Specifically for purposes of development, i.e. Dev, staging, test, and production cassandra
environments, so that you can easily plug in the information that you want to filter back
down to your 'lower level' environments...

> If not, I'm interested in starting working on something like that, so if you have specific
thoughts about features/requirements for something extendable that you'd like to share I'm
all ears.

> In general the main pieces that I know I would like to have on a column family basis:
>
> 1) Synchronize the schema
> 2) Specify keys or a range of keys to sync for that CF
> 3) Support full CF sync
> 4) Entirely configurable by either maven properties, basic properties, or xml file
> 5) Basic reporting about what was synchronized
> 6) Allow plugin development  for mutating keys as you move to different  environments
(in case your keys in one environment need to be a different value in another environment,
for example, you have a client_id based on an account number.  The account number exists on
dev and prod, but the client_id is different.  Want to let a dev write a mutator plugin to
 update the key prior to it writing to the destination.
> 7) Support multiple destinations
>
> Any thoughts on this, folks?  I'd wager this is an issue just about all of  us deal with,
and we're probably all doing it in a little different way.