cassandra-user mailing list archives

From David McNelis <>
Subject Re: Rebalance cluster
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:41:39 GMT

You can see how to do this basic sort of thing on the Wiki's operations
page ( )

In short, you'll want to run:
nodetool -h hostname move newtoken

Then, once you've update each of your tokens that you want to move, you'll
want to run
nodetool -h hostname cleanup

That will remove the no-longer necessary tokens from your smaller machines.

Please note that someone else may have some better insights than I into
whether or not  your strategy is going to be effective.  On the surface I
think what you are doing is logical, but I'm unsure of the  actual
performance gains you'll see.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Daning Wang <> wrote:

> Hi All,
> We have 5 nodes cluster(on 0.8.6), but two machines are slower and have
> less memory, so the performance was not good  on those two machines for
> large volume traffic.I want to move some data from slower machine to faster
> machine to ease some load, the token ring will not be equally balanced.
> I am thinking the following steps,
> 1. modify cassandra.yaml to change the initial token.
> 2. restart cassandra(don't need to auto-bootstrap, right?)
> 3. then run nodetool repair,(or nodetool move?, not sure which one to use)
> Is there any doc that has detailed steps about how to do this?
> Thanks in advance,
> Daning

View raw message