cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Scott Fines <>
Subject RE: JMX BulkLoad weirdness
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:42:49 GMT
Unfortunately, I'm not doing a 1-1 migration; I'm moving data from a 15-node to a 6-node cluster.
In this case, that means an excessive amount of time spent repairing data put on to the wrong

Also, the bulkloader's requirement of having either a different IP address or a different
machine is something that I don't really want to bother with, if I can activate it through

It seems like the JMX bulkloader works perfectly fine, however, except for the error that
I mentioned below. So I suppose I'll ask again, is that error something to be concerned about?

From: aaron morton []
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: JMX BulkLoad weirdness

If you are doing a straight one-to-one copy from one cluster to another try…

1) nodetool snapshot on each prod node for the system and application key spaces.
2) rsync system and app key space snapshots
3) update the yaml files on the new cluster to have the correct initial_tokens. This is not
necessary as they are stored in the system KS, but it is limits surprises later.
4) Start the new cluster.

For bulk load you will want to use the sstableloader

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer