cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "cbertu81@libero.it" <cbert...@libero.it>
Subject R: Re: Migration from 0.7 to 1.0
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:33:12 GMT

Aaron first of all thanks for your great support.
	I'm paranoid, so I would  upgrade 1 node and let it soak in for a few hours. Nothing like
upgrading an entire cluster and then discovering a 	problem.
Ok but as far as my application is concerned is safe to keep a cluster with part of 1.0 and
part of 0.7?I've read that they can communicate but will it bring to "strange" situations?
Will my application continue working (java/pelops)?
	You can take some extra steps when doing a rolling restart see http://blog.milford.io/2011/11/rolling-upgrades-for-cassandra/
This is what I was looking for! :-)Thanks for the repair tips ...
Best regards,Carlo

----Messaggio originale----

Da: aaron@thelastpickle.com

Data: 04/01/2012 22.00

A: <user@cassandra.apache.org>

Ogg: Re: Migration from 0.7 to 1.0

Sounds good.
You can take some extra steps when doing a rolling restart see http://blog.milford.io/2011/11/rolling-upgrades-for-cassandra/
Also make sure repair *does not* run until all the nodes have been upgraded.
Do i miss something (I will backup everything before the
upgrade)? I'm paranoid, so I would  upgrade 1 node and let it soak in for a few hours. Nothing
like upgrading an entire cluster and then discovering a problem.
As far as
maintenance is concerned, is enough to run a repair every x? (x <
GCGraceSeconds)once for each node with in that time frame http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Frequency_of_nodetool_repair

Cheers

-----------------Aaron MortonFreelance Developer@aaronmortonhttp://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/01/2012, at 2:47 AM, cbertu81@libero.it wrote:Hi,
I'm going to migrate from Cassandra 0.7 to 1.0 in production and I'd like to
know the best way to do it ...

"Upgrading from version 0.7.1+ or 0.8.2+ can be done with a rolling restart,
one node at a time.  (0.8.0 or 0.8.1 are NOT network-compatible with 1.0:
upgrade to the most recent 0.8 release first.) You do not need to bring down
the whole cluster at once.  - After upgrading, run nodetool scrub against each
node before running repair, moving nodes, or adding new ones."

So what I'd do is for each node to ...

1 - run nodetool drain
2 - stop cassandra process
3 - start the new cassandra 1.0
4 - run nodetool scrub on the node

Is it right? Do i miss something (I will backup everything before the
upgrade)? Should I worry for some kind of particular/known problems? As far as
maintenance is concerned, is enough to run a repair every x? (x <
GCGraceSeconds)

Best regards,
Carlo