cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Todd Fast <t...@conga.com>
Subject Mixed random & ordered partitioning?
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:36:19 GMT
I want to do ranged row queries for a few of my column families, but
best practice seems to be to use the random partitioner. Splitting my
column families between two clusters (one random, one ordered) seems
like a pretty expensive compromise.

Instead, I'm thinking of using the order-preserving partitioner in my
cluster, but distributing load for most of my column families by hashing
the row keys in my application code. Then, for the few column families
which I need to slice rows, I can just use unhashed keys.

What is be the effective difference between hashing the keys myself and
letting the random partitioner do it? Is this advisable?

Thanks,
Todd