cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Mixed random & ordered partitioning?
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:48:33 GMT
> What is be the effective difference between hashing the keys myself and letting the random
partitioner do it?
This is what the RandomPartitioner calls
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/utils/FBUtilities.java#L209

> Is this advisable?
I would try to avoid it. It's going to add to your code complexity and make it very hard to
balance the cluster.

Is building an index row an option ?

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 26/01/2012, at 8:36 PM, Todd Fast wrote:

> I want to do ranged row queries for a few of my column families, but best practice seems
to be to use the random partitioner. Splitting my column families between two clusters (one
random, one ordered) seems like a pretty expensive compromise.

> Instead, I'm thinking of using the order-preserving partitioner in my cluster, but distributing
load for most of my column families by hashing the row keys in my application code. Then,
for the few column families which I need to slice rows, I can just use unhashed keys.

> What is be the effective difference between hashing the keys myself and letting the random
partitioner do it? Is this advisable?