cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mathieu Lalonde <mrlalo...@live.ca>
Subject DataCenters each with their own local data source
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:57:09 GMT

Hi,

I am wondering if Cassandra's features and datacenter awareness can help me with my scalability
problems.

Suppose that I have a 10-20 Data centers, each with their own local (massive) source of time
series data.  I would like:
- to avoid replication across data centers (this seems doable based on: http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Different-KeySpaces-for-different-nodes-in-the-same-ring-td5096393.html#a5096568
)
- writes for local data to be done on the local data center (not sure about that one)
- reads from a master data center to any remote data centers (not sure about that one either)

It sounds like I am trying to use Cassandra in a very different way that it was intended to
be used.
Should I simply have a middle-tier that takes care of distributing reads to multiple data
centers and treat each data center as its own autonomous cluster?

Thanks!
Matt