cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mathieu Lalonde <mrlalo...@live.ca>
Subject RE: DataCenters each with their own local data source
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 02:15:20 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Sorry if my question was not clear.  I tried to provide more
info.

________________________________
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:43:33 -0500
> Subject: Re: DataCenters each with their own local data source
> From: md.jahangir27@gmail.com
> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>
> Distributing writes to all D.C.s? or reads?

Writes should be distributed within the local D.C.
Reads could be D.C. specific, or could ask a question to all D.C. instances.

> If each D.C. has data specific to that particular geo, why do you have
> to read from remote D.C. ?

Users want to aggregate information from different D.C.

> You can easily incorporate logic to re-direct operation(either
> write/read) to appropriate(local) D.C.

In the middle tier, or does Cassandra have explicit support for that?

> Still wondering why you want to do so?. Am assuming you want to store
> data as per I.P. (geo location data) ..Anyways, it was not very clear
> from your question what you are trying to do.

Each data center has a local data source that we can't afford to replicate across data centers.
Users may be interested in querying multiple data centers.