cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jim Newsham <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject Re: Second Cassandra users survey
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 02:50:03 GMT
On 11/4/2011 4:32 PM, Brandon Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Jim Newsham<jnewsham@referentia.com>  wrote:
>> - Bulk column deletion by (column name) range.  Without this feature, we are
>> forced to perform a range query and iterate over all of the columns,
>> deleting them one by one (we do this in a batch, but it's still a very slow
>> approach).  See CASSANDRA-494/3448.  If anyone else has a need for this
>> issue, please raise your voice, as the feature has been tabled due to lack
>> of interest.
> I think the lack of interest here has been this: it's unusual to want
> to delete columns for which you do not know the names, but also not
> want to delete the entire row.  Is there any chance you're trying to
> delete the entire row, or is it truly the case I just described?
>
> -Brandon

Our use case is time-series data (such as sampled sensor data).  Each
row describes a particular statistic over time, the column name is a
time, and the column value is the sample.  So it makes perfect sense to
want to delete columns for a given time range.  I'm sure there must be
numerous other use cases for which using a range of column names makes
sense.

Regards,
Jim