cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Shrinking cluster with counters ...
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 08:34:17 GMT
Is the cluster still in use ?

The safe way would be to reduce the RF to 1, and then nodetool decomission the nodes one at
a time. This will cause them to stream data to the remaining node(s), and at the same time
the node that takes ownership will be receiving writes for the new token range. It does mean
you have some data transfers which are wasted.

If the cluster is not in use a faster way would be to ensure repair completes on node and
then use nodetool removetoken (from a node other than the one you want to remove) to remove
it from the ring without streaming data.

I would go with the first option.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/10/2011, at 11:56 AM, Ian Danforth wrote:

> All,
>
>  If I have a 3 node cluster storing counters and RF3, is it possible to shrink back down
to a single node cluster? If so should I change replication factor, disable a node, wait for
streaming to complete, and repeat for the other node? Should I assume that the cluster will
be unavailable during this process?