cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Using elasticsearch on cassandra nodes
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:26:01 GMT
Solr can use a dynamic schema…

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/trunk/solr/example/solr/conf/schema.xml#L538

But you may still want to define a schema so you can adjust the index and query time processing/typing
of the field values.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 20/10/2011, at 2:20 AM, Brian O'Neill wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> We're in exactly the same boat.  We are waiting on DataStax Enterprise to see if it can
ease the pain of SOLR schemas.

> In the meantime, I just submitted a native REST layer for Cassandra.
> (Hopefully, it will get integrated soon. Vote it up ;)
>
> With a  simple REST layer, I'm making the case that we can use Cassandra just like CouchDB.
(so we don't have to deploy both)
> Extending that assertion, I think I could enhance the REST layer to provide a stream
of changes just like CouchDB does.  Elastic Search could tap into that stream as a river.
 Just like this…
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/river/couchdb.html
>
> That combination would be pretty powerful.  If we can't get that setup, we may fallback
to an AOPish strategy as well.

> Definitely let me know where you end up.   I'll share our findings as well.
>
> cheers,
> -brian
>
> ----
> Brian O'Neill
> Lead Architect, Software Development
> Health Market Science | 2700 Horizon Drive | King of Prussia, PA 19406
> p: 215.588.6024
> blog: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/boneill42/
> blog: http://brianoneill.blogspot.com/
>

> From: Anthony Ikeda <anthony.ikeda.dev@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:18:17 -0700
> To: <user@cassandra.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Using elasticsearch on cassandra nodes
>
> At the moment we are only prototyping so we haven't bridged the two at all. We had planned
on creating a write-through operation that allowed us to filter the calls (AOP perhaps?) to
manage the indexing as we stored it in Cassandra.

> We are still trying to work out if we go the elastic search route or not as DataStax
will be releasing DataStax Enterprise 2.0 early next year with Solr built in and as you said
the index schemas seem to be difficult to deal with - I really don't want to have to configure
Solr, the no schema approach sounds much faster to get up and running.

> Anthony
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Brian O'Neill <bone@alumni.brown.edu> wrote:
>> Anthony,
>>
>> We've been looking at elastic search as well.  Presently we have SOLR in place, but
it is cumbersome dealing with SOLR schemas when indexing information out of Cassandra (since
you can't anticipate all the columns ahead of time).

>> What are you using as your bridge between Cassandra and ES?  Are you developing a
Cassandra river?

>> -brian
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Anthony Ikeda <anthony.ikeda.dev@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> I've already posted to the elasticsearch groups and thought it prudent to also
ask here.

>>> We are looking at using elastic search to index our data that we currently store
to Cassandra. I was wondering if there are any concerns running elastic search on the same
nodes that we use for Cassandra? We have a ring of 6 nodes (2 DCs each with 3 nodes) I was
thinking of installing elastic search on 2 nodes in each datacentre - maybe all three. The
only reason I'd use the same infrastructure would be because we have the distributed visibility
already in place.