cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sasha Dolgy <sdo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra and Thrift on the Server Side
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:18:25 GMT
Hi Brian,

It's an interesting one.  Hope you don't mind some feedback .....I see you
have been making rounds publicizing the concept and patch (like on my  blog
; )  http://blog.sasha.dolgy.com/2011/05/apache-cassandra-restful-api.html)

For me, and the goals I have, I'm not sure this is fit for purpose.  I built
an API that implements the business processes, business rules, security and
policies of what I require.  I made it RESTful to allow consumers quick and
easy access....  The API implements Hector or PHPCassa depending on my
mood.  Both libraries provide an element of Connection Pooling, meaning I
don't have to worry about that in my code.  It just works....  The cost to
me writing code that leverages Hector or PHPCassa isn't that high when I
compare it to writing code that would leverage a RESTful interface.  I'd
have to think about Connection Pooling / selecting the best available node,
etc.  I think the cost would be higher unless it's a one or two node
infrastructure or there is a load balancer in front of all of the Cassandra
interfaces so that I don't have to think about it ..

Would I leverage the RESTful interface if it existed with Cassandra?
Probably not.  I am happy with the libraries as they are today .. and they
let me bundle in a bunch of fun (batch mutates, connection pooling, etc).
They aren't overly complicated and make overall development and integration
quite simple.

I definitely think that people who are looking into Apache Cassanda for the
first time may look for this feature and/or CQL ... and in that respects,
it's something good to have.

Probably the best question I read in the JIRA ticket (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3380 ) is:  "...what problem
the REST API solves..." , which is still not clear to me...

-sd