cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: "Insufficient space" on 1.0.0-rc2 when compacting compressed CFs
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:32:08 GMT
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Günter Ladwig <guenter.ladwig@kit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find anything on this issue, but maybe my google-fu is weak.
>
> I'm running a Cassandra 1.0.0-rc2 cluster with compression enabled for all of the two
CFs I have right now. The load on a single node is about 32GB (disk is 80GB per node).

> Whenever I try to run a compaction using nodetool on one of the CFs, I get the message
"insufficient space to compact all requested files" in the log (it goes on to compact some
SSTables, but not all). As not even half of the
disk is used, compaction should be possible, right? Or does Cassandra
use the uncompressed size to check whether there is enough space or
not? I estimate that the data is compressed by a factor of about 3x.

We do use the uncompressed size to check if there is enough room to
compact, which is a bug. I've created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3338 to fix it.
Thanks for the report.

--
Sylvain

> Cheers,
> Günter
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Günter Ladwig
>
> Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
> Institute AIFB
>
> Englerstraße 11 (Building 11.40, Room 250)
> 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
> Phone: +49 721 608-47946
> Email: guenter.ladwig@kit.edu
> Web: www.aifb.kit.edu
>
> KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and National Large-scale Research
Center of the Helmholtz Association