cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Loy <>
Subject Re: Does anybody know why Twitter stop integrate Cassandra as Twitter store?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:16:27 GMT
yup, and again it gives a perfectly adequate reason: "Twitter is busy
fighting other fires
<>and they
don't have the time to retrofit something that is (more or less) working,
namely their MySQL based tweet storage, with a completely new technology
based on Cassandra.*"
If I was in charge of platform at twitter I'd have probably made the same
call. If it aint broke, don't spend $100ks fixing it. Push out new features
that help keep you ahead of the competition.

I really don't see anything in the closet here. It's just a simple resource
management issue.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM, ruslan usifov <>wrote:

> Hello
> 2011/10/4 Paul Loy <>
>> Did you read the article you posted?
> Yes
>> "*We believe that this isn't the time to make large scale migration to a
>> new technology*. We will focus our Cassandra work on new projects that we
>> wouldn't be able to ship without a large-scale data store.
> There was big boom in network about, that Tweeter will migrate they tweets
> to cassandra, but than they reject this plans. This explanation sounds very
> vague. Why they have changed the mind? I find only one article about this:

Paul Loy

View raw message