cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Loy <ketera...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does anybody know why Twitter stop integrate Cassandra as Twitter store?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:16:27 GMT
yup, and again it gives a perfectly adequate reason: "Twitter is busy
fighting other fires
<http://engineering.twitter.com/2010/06/perfect-stormof-whales.html>and they
don't have the time to retrofit something that is (more or less) working,
namely their MySQL based tweet storage, with a completely new technology
based on Cassandra.*"
*
If I was in charge of platform at twitter I'd have probably made the same
call. If it aint broke, don't spend $100ks fixing it. Push out new features
that help keep you ahead of the competition.

I really don't see anything in the closet here. It's just a simple resource
management issue.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM, ruslan usifov <ruslan.usifov@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> 2011/10/4 Paul Loy <keteracel@gmail.com>
>
>> Did you read the article you posted?
>>
> Yes
>

>> "*We believe that this isn't the time to make large scale migration to a
>> new technology*. We will focus our Cassandra work on new projects that we
>> wouldn't be able to ship without a large-scale data store.
>

> There was big boom in network about, that Tweeter will migrate they tweets
> to cassandra, but than they reject this plans. This explanation sounds very
> vague. Why they have changed the mind? I find only one article about this:
>

> http://highscalability.com/blog/2010/7/11/so-why-is-twitter-really-not-using-cassandra-to-store-tweets.html

Paul Loy
paul@keteracel.com
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulloy