cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Günter Ladwig <guenter.lad...@kit.edu>
Subject Re: nodetool cfstats on 1.0.0-rc1 throws an exception
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:03:51 GMT
Yes, all three use SnappyCompressor.

On 12.10.2011, at 02:58, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> Are all 3 CFs using compression?
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Günter Ladwig <guenter.ladwig@kit.edu> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm seeing the same problem on my 1.0.0-rc2 cluster. However, I do not have 5000,
but just three (compressed) CFs.

>> The exception does not happen for the Migrations CF, but for one of mine:
>>
>> Keyspace: KeyspaceCumulus
>>        Read Count: 816
>>        Read Latency: 8.926029411764706 ms.
>>        Write Count: 16808336
>>        Write Latency: 0.03914435902518846 ms.
>>        Pending Tasks: 0
>>                Column Family: OSP
>>                SSTable count: 22
>>                Space used (live): 22319610951
>>                Space used (total): 22227585112
>>                Number of Keys (estimate): 87322624
>>                Memtable Columns Count: 56028
>>                Memtable Data Size: 54362270
>>                Memtable Switch Count: 154
>>                Read Count: 277
>>                Read Latency: NaN ms.
>>                Write Count: 10913659
>>                Write Latency: NaN ms.
>>                Pending Tasks: 0
>>                Key cache: disabled
>>                Row cache: disabled
>>                Compacted row minimum size: 125
>>                Compacted row maximum size: 9223372036854775807
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to compute ceiling
for max when histogram overflowed
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.utils.EstimatedHistogram.mean(EstimatedHistogram.java:170)
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.db.DataTracker.getMeanRowSize(DataTracker.java:395)
>>        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.getMeanRowSize(ColumnFamilyStore.java:275)
>>        [...snip…]
>>
>> I also had a look at the stats using JMX. The other CFs work fine, the only problem
seems to be this one. In JMX it shows 'Unavailable' for the row mean size and also that ridiculous
value for the max size.

>> The cluster consists of 15 nodes. The keyspace has three CFs (SPO, OSP and POS) of
which only two contain any data (POS is empty), and uses replication factor 2. In total, there
are about 2 billion columns in each CF. The data distribution is different between the two
CFs. The row sizes for SPO should be fairly evenly distributed whereas OSP will have a few
very wide rows and a large number of small rows.

>> Here is the output from describe:
>>
>> Keyspace: KeyspaceCumulus:

                  Replication Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.locator.SimpleStrategy
>>  Durable Writes: true
>>  Column Families:
>>    ColumnFamily: OSP
>>      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Row cache size / save period in seconds / keys to save : 0.0/0/all
>>      Key cache size / save period in seconds: 0.0/0
>>      GC grace seconds: 0
>>      Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
>>      Read repair chance: 0.0
>>      Replicate on write: false
>>      Built indexes: []
>>      Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy
>>      Compression Options:
>>        sstable_compression: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor
>>    ColumnFamily: POS
>>      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.BytesType
>>      Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Row cache size / save period in seconds / keys to save : 0.0/0/all
>>      Key cache size / save period in seconds: 0.0/0
>>      GC grace seconds: 0
>>      Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
>>      Read repair chance: 0.0
>>      Replicate on write: false
>>      Built indexes: [POS.index_p]
>>      Column Metadata:
>>        Column Name: !o
>>          Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>        Column Name: !p
>>          Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>          Index Name: index_p
>>          Index Type: KEYS
>>      Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy
>>      Compression Options:
>>        sstable_compression: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor
>>    ColumnFamily: SPO
>>      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
>>      Row cache size / save period in seconds / keys to save : 0.0/0/all
>>      Key cache size / save period in seconds: 0.0/0
>>      GC grace seconds: 0
>>      Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
>>      Read repair chance: 0.0
>>      Replicate on write: false
>>      Built indexes: []
>>      Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy
>>      Compression Options:
>>        sstable_compression: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor
>>
>> If you need additional information, let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Günter
>>
>> On 04.10.2011, at 10:20, aaron morton wrote:
>>
>>> That row has a size of 819 peta bytes, so something is odd there. The error is
a result of that value been so huge. When you rant he same script on 0.8.6 what was the max
size of the Migrations CF ?

>>> As Jonathan says, it's unlikely anyone would have tested creating 5000 CF's.
Most people only create a few 10's of CF's at most.

>>> either use fewer CF's or…
>>>
>>> * dump the Migrations CF using sstable2json to take a look around
>>> * work out steps to reproduce and report it on Jira
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

Source)

Source)

Method)

>> --
>> Dipl.-Inform. Günter Ladwig
>>
>> Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
>> Institute AIFB
>>
>> Englerstraße 11 (Building 11.40, Room 250)
>> 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
>> Phone: +49 721 608-47946
>> Email: guenter.ladwig@kit.edu
>> Web: www.aifb.kit.edu
>>
>> KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and National Large-scale Research
Center of the Helmholtz Association